- Who Am I?
- Site Feed Link
- Group Newsletter Feed
- My Photos
- View COK's Video Interview with Me and Undercover Tyson Kill Floor Footage!
- COK's Report on the Life of a Broiler Chicken
- Download my audio interview free
- See me featured in Animal Times
- Peaceful Prairie Interview with Me
- UPC's Interview with me and Laura
- My Factory Farming Op-ed on Infoshop
- Activists Against Factory Farming newsletter group
- Activists Against Factory Farming discussion group
- Google News
- United Poultry Concerns
- Humane Society
- Animal Liberation Victoria
- Open Rescue
- Compassion Over Killing
- Don't Eat Animals
- Organic Trade Association
- The Organic Report
- Responsible Policies for Animals, Inc.
- Farm Sanctuary
- The Fund for Animals
- Farmed Animal Net
- Stop FCC Censorship!
- 101 Reasons Why I'm a Vegetarian
- Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary
- Eastern Shore Sanctuary
- Farm Animal Reform Movement
- Peaceful Prairie Sanctuary
- Animal Voices Radio
Most Frequently Read Posts
- Inside the Mind of a Killer
- Tyson Torture Tactics - Introduction
- Tyson Torture Tacos - Knots of Fun
- Tyson Torture Tactics - Culling the Runts
- Tyson Torture Tactics - Twisted and Bizarre
- More Mean "Pranks" By More Mean People
- My First Night on Back Dock
- Setting Things Straight on "Inspections"
- Clarification on Stunner Usage
Donate for Free
- The Animal Rescue Site
- The Rainforest Site
- Save rainforest at Care2.com
- Help abandoned pets at Care2.com
Give to Iraqi Kids
- 08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003
- 09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003
- 10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003
- 11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003
- 12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004
- 01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
- 02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
- 03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
- 04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
- 05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
- 06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
- 07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
- 08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
- 09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
- 10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
- 11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
- 12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
- 01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
- 02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
- 03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
- 04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
- 05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
- 06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
- 07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
- 08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
- 09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
- 10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
- 11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
- 12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
- 02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
- 03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
- 04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
- 05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
- 08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
- 12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
- 06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
Blogs I read
- Animal Writings
- Baghdad Burning
- Bitter Greens
- Dog Rescue Blog
- The Thought Offering
- Less People Less Idiots
- Solar Direct
- NYT Best-seller? Why Not?
- Recycle Diapers
- Troll's Blog
Behind the scenes of the fight for the protection of animals and workers and the preservation of the environment - my experiences as a Tyson slaughterhouse hanger/killer turned activist. Exposing the evils of factory farming, by Virgil Butler. If you have arrived here looking for the Tyson stories, view the early archives. Some of them are now featured on the sidebar for easy searching.
Wednesday, September 10, 2003
group of activists over at
Compassion Over Killing found at an
"Animal Care Certified" site.
They have some great photos taken
there and at three auctions.
These are some good people.
They are making changes without
being judgmental or condescending
when they educate people on the
advantages of a vegetarian diet.
They had a good write-up in the
This is what passes for humane
slaughter in this country. Chickens
have less room than a sheet of
typing paper in which to live. What
they are doing is completely legal.
That is the problem. The majority
of people are willing to pay a few
cents per pound more for meat if
they can be assured the animals
were raised "humanely." If you
want to see what the term "free range"
refers to go here.
We are trying to get a similar message
across here. We know that not everyone
will quit eating meat. We just want to
make sure that when people make that
choice that they are given all the facts.
Especially since the industry lies about
the conditions and defends the practices.
They are counting on most people not
wanting to know what happens to an
animal before it becomes dinner.
If you want to continue to eat meat,
then you should be in a position as
a consumer to decide where and with
whom you spend your money.
Nowadays the public can get more
changed with their buying power. It
is a real power. Big corporations lobby
the legislators to keep things "business
as usual." The few increments of
change we can get through legislation
are not happening fast enough and the
changes are not large enough to make
I'm sure that the chickens do appreciate
an increase of a couple of inches to
move around, but it is a far cry from
being "humane." Even at the more
"humane" egg farms they still kill all the
male chicks since they can't lay eggs
and are the wrong breed for meat.
The normal practices for the culling
of the babies is either grinding them
alive or putting them into a plastic
garbage bag alive to smother.
We can do better than this. We are
basically a decent society that does
not want to needlessly harm animals
or damage the Earth we call home.
Factory farms do both.
And society lets them.