<$BlogRSDUrl$> The Cyberactivist

Behind the scenes of the fight for the protection of animals and workers and the preservation of the environment - my experiences as a Tyson slaughterhouse hanger/killer turned activist. Exposing the evils of factory farming, by Virgil Butler. If you have arrived here looking for the Tyson stories, view the early archives. Some of them are now featured on the sidebar for easy searching.

Tuesday, December 09, 2003

The Scoop on the Local Investigation at Tyson (or lack thereof) 

Sorry it has taken so long to get a post up
today, but I have just been swamped with
emails. I even did a radio interview today
on "The Dolans," a nationally heard business
talk radio show on more than 200 stations
on the WOR Radio Network been named as
one of the top ten most listened to radio
shows in America according to the semi-
annual rankings released by TALKERS
Magazine (currently #6).

I believe it went well. I have really been quite
encouraged by the outpouring of support
that has flowed in non-stop. It has really
meant so much to us to know that there are
so many people that care.

I promised that I would tell you a little more
today about my little undercover operation.
Well, since all the employees had been cowed
by Tyson into not talking to the sheriff at the
plant when he came to ask questions, PETA
decided to see if I could get anyone on tape
corroborating my allegations.

Well, the entire operation was a complete
success. I got every allegation backed up,
some by more than one person. I don't
really want to go into when this happened
and compromise myself as far as the types
of techniques I used to accomplish this, but
suffice it to say that I did get some of the
same individuals that had perpetrated some
of the acts (and others who witnessed them)
to admit it on tape.

Why this evidence was not used to charge,
try, and convict those responsible, you will
have to decide for yourself. They do have
an airtight case if they choose to pursue it.

Indeed, I personally have been convicted on
much less evidence than this. They were
handed this case on a silver platter. All they
had to do was bring them in and give them
a court date. Richard should have been
immediately handed his walking papers and
arrested also. Tyson should have at least
gotten rid of that man. If it was not for that
man, I probably never would have gotten so
upset. He just made a bad place infinitely worse,
both for the chickens and the workers.

I could give some facts that might have a bit
of a bearing on this.

I once asked a deputy what they were paid.
It is shameful to say, but the sheriff's deputies
make less than some plant employees that I
know. Many of them own land with Tyson
chicken houses on it. If they do not own it
themselves, a member of their family does.
This also goes for the sheriff himself.

Also, this entire area's economy revolves
around that chicken plant in Grannis. All
Tyson would have to do to shut things down
in this town is to make the same threat that
they have made to the workers for speaking
out and trying to force change. They said
that they would close down the plant and
move that business elsewhere.

Since Grannis is one of the smallest plants
they have, it would not be a very big deal
to them to close it down. There are a couple
more good-sized Tyson operations near here
that are way bigger than Grannis. They could
swallow up their workload if they had to. It
wouldn't even be that hard to do.

Everyone knows that, including the sheriff
and quite a few other elected officials that
not only would find themselves voted out,
but would probably lose everything and have
to move.

I hope that one day people like that will once
again care about doing the right thing, no
matter the cost.
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to activistsagainstfactoryfarming
Powered by groups.yahoo.com