<$BlogRSDUrl$> The Cyberactivist

Behind the scenes of the fight for the protection of animals and workers and the preservation of the environment - my experiences as a Tyson slaughterhouse hanger/killer turned activist. Exposing the evils of factory farming, by Virgil Butler. If you have arrived here looking for the Tyson stories, view the early archives. Some of them are now featured on the sidebar for easy searching.

Monday, August 02, 2004

American Candidate - Go Bruce! 

Have you heard of the new show "The American Candidate" that came on Showtime last night? I don't usually watch those so-called "reality" shows, but this one was different, so I watched it. I actually enjoyed it too. And, not just because my friend, Bruce Friedrich from PETA, was on there as one of the candidates.

It was a good thing to see these different people from different walks of life, all with what they feel to be an important message, standing up for what they believe in and getting their message out to the American people. There are several other candidates that I liked, too, including the one who was voted off last night. That was a real shame, although I know that is part of the allure of reality shows. At least she had the opportunity to get up in front of everyone and speak her mind, though.

And, Bruce, what can I say? You did great, man! I was glad to see that you came in 2nd in the running after the first assignment - the rally. Wish I could have been there. That must have been a lot of fun. You know you have my support. I'm really glad you have the opportunity to bring a good segment of the public's attention to the plight of animals, in addition to the other issues that affect us all. I agreed with you when you said that you had a unique message and that you thought you could sway some minds. You are pretty good at that. I certainly enjoyed the interesting conversations we have had. I probably learned about as much from you about all the reasons for going vegetarian as you did that first night I met you when we ate the veggie burgers and you took notes on all those little tiny napkins. LOL! We have come a long way since then, haven't we?! Who knew it would have ever gotten this big?

For those of you that haven't seen the show yet, even if you aren't an activist, it is one worth watching. I don't say that about too many shows, and especially not "reality" shows. I don't watch that much TV. But, the people on this show give me hope that there is a chance for the American people to get involved and take back OUR country from the corporations and make OUR government answerable to us again. I hope that there are many young people watching it, especially. We need more young people getting out and speaking up, voting, getting involved, caring.

And all of us animal activists need to do whatever we can to support Bruce in his candidacy on this show. He has an important message to share, and it is not only about how we treat animals. It's also about how we treat each other. He's one of the most honest and compassionate people I know. I don't trust many people, but this man has shown himself time and again to be the kind of friend you know you can count on. I hope that you join me in supporting him. There is a message board on the show's site also, where you can leave your ideas and thoughts and messages of support.

I also hope that you get out and vote in the real presidential election this year. The world is watching to see what the American people will do this year - way more than most years. A lot of them are worried. They are hoping that we can change the way things are going. The stakes are high, and this election will have major consequences for the whole world if we don't vote BushCo. out of there. We need more hope and less fear.

I read an article the other day that made a good point that I would like to share with you before I end this post. It said that all of us engage in a form of direct action every day, simply by choosing a vegetarian diet. By that action alone, we save numerous animals from the awful fate of being tortured and killed. By that action, we also don't waste so many natural resources. Even if you never write letters, sign petitions, or speak up in public, you can still make a difference in this world. Every single meal you eat that does not include an animal corpse is one that has decreased the violence in this world and increased the compassion.

Is it such a big thing to give up meat? Really??? For me it really was not. It was incredibly easy, actually. There are so many new products out now that it just isn't necessary. And I like doing my part to try to leave this a better world than I found it. It makes me feel good about myself, and I have no doubt that it is better for not only the animals, but the environment as well. And the more grain that is not being fed first to an animal to feed me can go to some of the starving people in the world who need it to survive. The water, too. It's incredibly inefficient and wasteful to eat meat, even without the cruelty issue factored in.

It's time for all of us to look deep within ourselves and decide what kind of a world we want to live in - what kind of world we want our children to live in. And then we must try our best to make that happen through our daily actions.

Do you want to live in a world of violence, fear, and hatred? A world with such a vast difference between the haves and the have-nots? Where resources are scarce and little kids die from hunger while the rich get richer and fatter? One where people across the world that you have never met hate you and want you to die?

Or do you want to live in a much more peaceful, compassionate world? One where no one goes hungry, homeless, or without even basic medical care? One where the environment doesn't poison our children, the air is clean to breathe, the water clean to drink? One where we all work together for the good of everyone, even the animals?

It really is up to you. Will you be part of the problem or part of the solution? There is no middle ground here.
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to activistsagainstfactoryfarming
Powered by groups.yahoo.com