<$BlogRSDUrl$> The Cyberactivist

Behind the scenes of the fight for the protection of animals and workers and the preservation of the environment - my experiences as a Tyson slaughterhouse hanger/killer turned activist. Exposing the evils of factory farming, by Virgil Butler. If you have arrived here looking for the Tyson stories, view the early archives. Some of them are now featured on the sidebar for easy searching.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Getting ready for the Blogathon! 

Well, we have been working hard at getting ready for this. We have slowly been changing our body clocks all week to make it easier to stay awake and blog constantly for 24 hours. We have also been discussing what it is that we will blog about that for that long and in so many posts. We do have some ideas, but mostly we will be just hoping to come up with ideas as we go along, staying pretty flexible. We are hoping that we will get a bit of feedback from you readers that will enable us not only to come up with more content, but to also answer some of your questions about how the whole poultry slaughterhouse thing works.

Even speaking in front of educated activists, there are always many questions simply because nobody like me has ever come forward before and talked in such detail so truthfully about the whole thing. (That's also why I am harassed so badly, too. They don't want any more workers coming forward like I have and airing all these dirty details they like to keep hidden, especially the illegal ones.)

I realize that during this 'thon that there will be quite a few of you who have not read and followed my blog here and may not be aware of the many things I have written about, and that's okay. You have found it now, and I will answer any questions you have, even the weird ones, and no matter how many times I have discussed the same subject before in the archives. If you want to know about it, I will do my best to explain it to you. And if my explanation still doesn't answer the question and needs clarifying, don't hesitate to point that out and ask again for more detail. Whole new posts have been written on this blog that were nothing more than a clarification of an earlier post that someone had written to me about and wanted to know more about. One that comes to mind is the one I wrote that was a clarification on stunner usage. This one was even picked up by United Poultry Concerens and put up on that site as well.

Like I said in earlier posts, there are so many of these detailed facts locked inside my head that I never even realized that people didn't know. I took it for grantd that people knew all about the industry. Nope. I really was surprised when I came forward at the depth of the ignorance that the general public has about where their food comes from. Once I discovered that there was a whole movement to help animals, even chickens (I could barely believe it way back then!), I realized that even these people didn't know many detailed things about the industry. Then I got swamped with questions coming from everywhere.

That's how this whole blog got started in the first place. I started it as a central location for people to gain this type of knowledge because I was finding myself answering so many questions (many of them the same ones) from so many different groups once I came forward, you see. Then all of the groups could benefit form this knowledge, and perhaps some of the general public might stumble upon it, too. Then it just kinda grew from there.

I never realized or expected this whole activism thing to get so huge. I certainly never expected to be flown to forums to speak in front of people or be interviewed, put on the radio, written up in articles in the media, and featured in documentaries. If you would have told me that before all of this got started, I would have laughed in your face. I really thought that I would send off an email and nothing more would happen. Boy, was I wrong! Ha ha!

Anyway, it has all happened anyway, and I am just glad that I can do something helpful in making this a better world. A more informed and compassionate world.

I hope that you enjoy the Blogathon and that you will chip in to help out my chosen sanctuary. Did I yet mention that they are the only one in the whole country to take in former "fighting cocks" and successfully rehabilitate them to live peacefully with each other again? Everywhere else around the country, when a cockfighting ring is broken up, none of the sanctuaries want them, so they are euthanized. Many people don't even believe that they can be rehabilitated. But they can. And this sanctuary has been very successful in doing just that. Just one more reason to help them out.

Well, I am going to do some resting today to try and have plenty of energy to stay up all day and night blogging away, so I will sign off now. See you in the morning.
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to activistsagainstfactoryfarming
Powered by groups.yahoo.com