<$BlogRSDUrl$> The Cyberactivist

Behind the scenes of the fight for the protection of animals and workers and the preservation of the environment - my experiences as a Tyson slaughterhouse hanger/killer turned activist. Exposing the evils of factory farming, by Virgil Butler. If you have arrived here looking for the Tyson stories, view the early archives. Some of them are now featured on the sidebar for easy searching.

Saturday, August 06, 2005

More of My Personal Story, Part Four 

Much of what I have learned about the subject of desensitization has been since I stopped killing and started "fixing" myself. Here is more of what I have learned and what I experienced.

See, the desensitization does not stop where it did in my last post. It goes even further than that if not treated and stopped.

There are two more aspects of it that I wish to touch on.

The first is what I call "machoism." It is the desire to prove your manhood above everyone else's by being the meanest and cruelest person around. Needless to say, the back dock of a slaughter plant, where you live-hang and kill chickens, is a veritable breeding ground for this.

If one guy broke a leg, the next guy broke a wing, and so on. I have seen some of the worst acts of cruelty perpetrated against animals anyone could possibly imagine and witness exacted on an innocent animal just to prove a point. (I also did a whole series on this, too. If you go back to September and October of 2003, you will find posts entitled "Tyson Torture Tactics" and "Mean Pranks by Mean People, among others, if you care to find out how bad it really gets. **VERY GRAPHIC** I have to stay a bit tame in the 'thon - at least that was my agreement to be accepted. But the information is still on this site for those wanting to know.)

The second aspect is the sheer number of birds you see in a night's time. 90,000 was not uncommon, although 80,000-85,000 was more typical. When you are dealing with this many animals every night, it becomes very easy to lose track of their individuality as separate, feeling beings.

This is no way excuses the behavior, but I hope that it somehow better explains it.
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to activistsagainstfactoryfarming
Powered by groups.yahoo.com