<$BlogRSDUrl$> The Cyberactivist

Behind the scenes of the fight for the protection of animals and workers and the preservation of the environment - my experiences as a Tyson slaughterhouse hanger/killer turned activist. Exposing the evils of factory farming, by Virgil Butler. If you have arrived here looking for the Tyson stories, view the early archives. Some of them are now featured on the sidebar for easy searching.

Saturday, August 06, 2005

A Short Bit on My Feelings on the Latest PETA tape of Tyson 

Not too many weeks ago I received a videotape in the mail from PETA. It was a 5-minute clip from the Tyson slaughter plant in Heflin, Alabama investigation. The reason I asked for and received this tape was to analyze it for one of my presentations at AR2005.

As an added bonus, I also managed to get articles printed in The Agribusiness Examiner and the Organic Consumers Association completely tearing apart Tyson's arguments against the investigator. (I always love doing that.)

But, that's not what this post is really about. What I want to convey is how it made me feel. I expected it to affect Laura much more than me. I was very wrong. Laura sat through the whole thing numerous times, working the remote control for me, back and forth and back and forth, and was visibly moved, but not nearly as much as I was. That was surprising to me, as I had already seen so much of this that I really didn't expect it to have that kind of effect on me.

I left the room and cried my eyes out. I had no idea that it would affect me in such a way.

You see, what I saw on that tape was myself just a few years ago not caring or even trying to be humane. I could not believe that I had been such a person.

Well, never again. I have a lot to make up for, but I also have a lot to be proud of, too.

All I can say is "LOOK OUT TYSON. HERE I COME AND I WILL NOT STOP!!!!"

(A much longer version of how this tape made me feel was written back when I first viewed this tape in preparation for the conference and when I wrote my letter that turned out to be an editorial in the above-mentioned sites. If you are interested, you an go back that far to read it.)
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to activistsagainstfactoryfarming
Powered by groups.yahoo.com